Saturday, June 23, 2012

Day 3: Beijing Tours continued: Jade Factory, Great Wall, Olympic Landmarks, & Acrobatic Show

Today was a very busy day. We started off with a tour of a jade factory. There were so many unique and beautiful pieces. It is tradition to give your child a piece of jade when they marry. We chose what is called the happiness ball, which is 3 balls within each other. Each layer represents a different aspect of family. The outer layer represents the parents, middle layer represents the children, and the inner ball represents grandchildren. It was neat to hear the different cultural aspects regarding jade. My favorite color is green, so I have always thought jade was really pretty. After the jade tour, we traveled to the Great Wall of China for some hiking. The wall is tall and STEEP. Joey and I managed to make it to the 5th tower at the top of the mountain. Coming down the mountain, our legs felt like jelly. I have a feeling we will both be sore tomorrow. It was said, by Mao I believe, that those who climb the wall are heroes. I guess Joey and I can wear our capes now. haha After the wall, we drove past the water cube and the bird's nest. They are HUGE and so impressive. The architecture here in China is simply amazing to begin with. The newer buildings really test the limits. Even on the towers at the Great Wall, there were little carvings in the roof and on the roof. Simply amazing. After visiting the Olympic landmarks, we traveled to a Chinese Acrobatic show. It was AMAZING! These yound people were simply amazing. We really enjoyed it and had a great time. Now we are back at the hotel and are about to pack up because we leave for Zhengzhou tomorrow. We leave early in the morning (Sunday China time, and Saturday US time). We will then have only one more sleep until we meet Lee!!! The excitement is building. We are so close and I just want it to be time already! Call me Miss Impatient lol We were able to talk to our children today and they seem to be have a blast at their Maw Maw Nancy's house, which makes me feel good. Tomorrow they are heading to my sister's house and she will keep them until we return in 2 weeks. Be sure to check out the new pictures in the previous post. The computer ran out of battery power before I could finish uploading all of the pictures. I probably will not be posting tomorrow, as it is a travel day. ( I will try to add pictures tomorrow morning. I am having difficulty with blogger right now) Blessings, Tasha

No comments: